Buying a Canal boat or Narrowboat
What are the options?
Obviously there are the main choices of whether you choose to buy a new boat or a used boat.
Plus you can choose to buy it yourself or as part of a syndicate known as Shared ownership.
Brand New Canal Boats and Narrowboats:
If you are keen on the idea of a brand new boat you have two further options open to you.
1. There are boatbuilders who will happily discuss all of your requirements with you and then they will build you a bespoke boat. This is clearly the most expensive route but you will end up with the boat of your dreams and if you know what it is you want, then your first stop should be ABC Boatbuilders. Canal Boat and Narrowboat boat builders.
2. Off the shelf: There are a few boatbuilders who operate more like other marine boat builders and they produce standard boats which you can buy pretty much 'off the shelf'. there is a good list of options rather like buying a car so this gives you the coice of a proven existing boat design and layout as well as the opportunity to finetune the contructioon to suit your needs. Navigo marine are on such company and you can see what they have to offer at their website and you would deal with them through their UK agents. New canal boats and narrowboats.
Used Canal Boats and Narrowboats
There are a number of brokerages selling used and secondhand canal boats and of course private sales advertised in boating magazines.
ABC Boat Sales are a nationwide operation with a huge range of inland waters craft for sale at their boatyards and marinas across the UK, where you will be met with a personal and friendly service. They are more than happy to advise on all aspects of boat ownership and can also offer the benefit of the following pre-sales & after-sales support services:
- Click here to find out more about buying or selling a boat.
- Click here for the ABC Boat Sales latest list of Boats for Sale
- Click here to read their testimonials from satisfied customers.
Thinking of selling?
ABC Leisure Group's brokerage sold £1.9 million worth of boats in 2009 completing the sale on at least 1 boat per week, every week!
Here are some more reasons to choose ABC Leisure Group to sell your boat for you:
- 3 Months free mooring while on their brokerage*
- Your boat promoted in their large display adverts in the Waterways Press (Canal Boat, Waterways World, Towpath Talk).
- Your boat promoted as part of their weekly email campaigns to more than 1000 registered purchasers.
- Your boat promoted on their their website www.abcboatsales.com and Apollo Duck.
- Your boat promoted at all of their marinas around the country.
- Your boats own colour literature produced with boat layout.
- Your boat promoted at trade exhibitions and festivals.
- They operate a banking client account for your peace of mind.
- Dry docking facilities for ease of survey when required.
- Full engineering facilities for any work that may be required.
- Friendly expert advice.
*Terms & Conditions apply.
Members of the Boat Retailers & Brokers Association
Members of the British Marine Federation